Saturday, January 24, 2015

recipe: pumpkin porridge!

Unless it involves snow days (and thus days off from work/school), I do not like winter. I hate being cold, I hate wearing socks, I hate short days with less sunshine, and I hate that I spend less time outside.  Good thing my family and loved ones almost all live in the Northeast! Thanks guys!

But winter weather always means soups and chilis and oatmeal- dishes that warm from the inside while I put on another pair of stupid socks and crank up the heat.  Since going mostly Paleo a few years ago, I have missed out on my beloved oatmeal and Kashi has missed out on my many dollars of oatmeal purchases.

After spending an inordinate amount of time on the Internet looking for a way to re-create oatmeal sans oats (fauxtmeal, anyone?!), I came up with a satisfying, nutrient-packed mixture that also tastes delicious.


Take that, winter weather!

Pumpkin Porridge/Fauxtmeal
This is for one serving, but it is super easy to make this ahead or multiply and make for more!

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 c canned pumpkin
  • 1/2 c canned coconut milk (works best if it's full fat)
  • 2-3 tbsp ground flax seeds
  • 2 tbsp finely shredded coconut
  • 1-2 tsp maple syrup (optional)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp coconut oil or butter
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • Optional toppings: syrup, frozen berries, crushed walnuts/pecans/almonds
Instructions:
  • In a small mixing bowl, combine pumpkin, coconut milk, flax seeds, shredded coconut, syrup if using, vanilla extract, and cinnamon.
  • In a separate bowl, beat the eggs
  • Place a small saucepan on medium heat.  Allow coconut oil or butter to melt and coat the pan.  (This prevents the porridge mixture from sticking if it gets too hot)
  • Add porridge mixture to saucepan.  Stir occasionally and let come to a boil.
  • Take pan off heat.  Add beaten eggs to heated porridge.  Mix constantly for 1 minute- if you let the eggs sit too long, you will get scrambled eggs in your "oatmeal."
  • Once the eggs are beaten in, return the pan to low-medium heat.  Continue to stir for 2-3 minutes.
  • Take off heat, enjoy in bowl with desired toppings!
Notes/Substitutions:
  • You can use applesauce or a mashed-up banana in place of the pumpkin.  I think bananas are gross and I'm allergic, but I know that applesauce works.
  • If you want to use a different milk, just know that the fat in the coconut milk is what gives this a nice creamy texture.

Now back to hiding under a pile of blankets wishing for a beach vacation!

No comments:

Post a Comment